Thursday, September 2, 2010

Cheap wines: The Good, the OK, the Bad, and the VERY Ugly

The Good:
2009 Casata Monticello Dolcetto D'Asti

Bought this one in a 2 for $16 deal from Bauer Wine & Spirits on Newbury St. I did not expect too much since it was so cheap, but I was pleasantly surprised. This wine has amazing complexity and punch for such a price :)

Nose: slightly heady, deliciously spicy, with notes of vanilla, cinnamon, plums, warm spices, chocolate, nutmeg, and raisin

Tongue: sweet, velvety, slightly spicy, acidic, light tanins. A pleasant light to medium bodied wine with medium depth.

Price: $8.99 or $16 for two

Rating: 3.25/5


The OK:
2008 Brunellesco Soave

 Again from Bauer Wines, this time it was only 2 for $12! Gotta love them for the amazing deals :). It was my first Soave, which I have been meaning to try in the longest time, and it was a good first impression. The crazy cheap price was a big plus...
 It inspired a "vino goddess" doodle

 Nose: herbal, lemony, zesty. Notes of honey, ginger, and honeydew melons. Slightly sweet

Tongue: very light, spritzy, citrisy, and crisp. Off-dry. It got pretty watery and flat quickly after opening though.

Price: $6.99 or 2 for $12

Rating: 3/5


The Bad:
 2007 Piazzo Barbera
 This one was only $7.99 I think, from the liquor store at BJs. I was excited to find a cheap Barbera after the memories of the great Matilde Barbera wine from my last post. But this was nothing like it. The Piazzo Barbera puts Italian wines to shame. It was totally raw and lean and mean :(, only thing i liked was the smell

Nose: sweet, nutty, vanilla, cinnamon, plums. Warm

Tongue: acidic, slightly spicey, with light to medium tanins. Medium bodied. Notes of forest berries and warm spices. Fairly lean and raw

Price: 7.99

Rating: 2.25/5




*drumrolls*.......now The VERY Ugly:
  2008 La Mano Mencia Roble

I really can't get over the fact that Robert Parker gave this wine a wooping 90 points! Sadly, that is the reason I actually bought this wine. It was one of the worst, if not THE worst wines I have tasted. I even doubted my own delicately cultivated tastebuds for a minute! Are my tastes that different from Mr. Parker's? But after a search at other bloggers' views online, it so happens that a great majority disagrees with him just as much as I. Whew, a relief to know that my tongue is still sane...

Nose: rotting meat, rotten fruits

Tongue: heady, raw and young. Notes of dark berries. Uber-bitter and stringent. Little to no depth. Barely drinkable ugh

Price: $7.99 (wouldn't drink it even if it were free)

Rating: 0.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment