Sunday, September 12, 2010

Downs and Ups: Tierracalar Macabeo 2009 & Conde de Baldemar Crianza 2005

Tierracalar Macabeo 2009

I ordered this wine from WineInsiders.com. It is some sort of Spanish white blend. NEVER order wines from there! only reason I bought from that site was because of a Groupon coupon they put out. Out of the 5 wines I received from them, I did not find one that I liked. Wait...actually I did not find one I was not repulsed by! I would not drink this if it was free.
Anyways, I think I am going to think twice or three times before getting wines online now. Besides, wine shopping in 3D is so much more enjoyable!

Nose: sweet and syrupy. Very one-dimentional

Tongue: dry, tart, bitter, and very watery. Grassy. Tastes like a mix of apricot kernel and toothpaste. Ugh. Pretty much undrinkable actually..

Price: $9.99

Rating: 1.75/5

Conde de Valdemar Crianza 2005

On a brighter note, my tastebuds were rescued when I had a glass of this Rioja. Had it with steak, and it was amazing! This is a delicious, complex, substantial wine. It warms up my insides (along with a slab of juicy steak) like no other! It's also drinkable enough by itself sitting beside the fireplace on a wintry night with whomever you so desire ;)

Nose: meaty, bold, and heady. Whiffs of forest and wet earth.

Tongue: smooth and full bodied with velvety tannins and a nice, rounded finish. Succulent in the mouth. slightly spicy, bold, ripe, complex and sophesticated.

Price: $20

Rating: 4.55/5

No comments:

Post a Comment